Sunday, May 3, 2009

And the winner is...

I've been working in the music industry professionally for 6 years. 3 of those years I have been at the record label, Sheer Sound. In that time I've had 18 SAMA nominations (well, 18 nominations for albums that I have promoted - including this year's). At the 15th annual South African Music Awards, which was once again held at Sun City this year, Sheer Sound managed to garner 15 nominations. 10 of those were for albums that I had worked on. Are you managing to keep up with the figures? :D

This year i finally won my first SAMA. 340ml (who had a mammoth 6 nominations) took the awards for "Best Engineer" and "Best Alternative" (a category I've previously had 6 nominations in but never won).

I hobbled up to the stage on crutches (still have a sprained ankle) and made it up to the stage at the same time as Rob, Sheer's GM.

Rob: "On behalf of Sheer Sound and 340ml thank you. 340ml will be here tomorrow night"
Brett: "And they say 'Sorry For The Delay'"



I still await a similar apology from the SAMA committee ;)

All together Sheer Sound received 3 awards
Best Tradional Jazz: Zim Ngqawana
Best Engineer: 340ml
Best Alternative Album [English]: 340ml

No comments:

Post a Comment