Tuesday, April 21, 2009

And this day will go down in history...


I'm too young to remember Apartheid. I do, however, remember one of the most historic days in recent world history - South Africa's first democratic election. I was 10 years old. I remember being told that i was living through history. All that I was interested in was that there was no school and KTV was going to be on TV ALL day! Score!

It's now 15 years later and South Africa is probably having its most important election. 1994 was the most significant, but this one is the most important. We all know the outcome. The country is now at a watershed and it can slop either way.

Zuma says he's for the people... so did Hitler and Mugabe. Let's see how it goes. Whatever the outcome in the long run, tomorrow is the start of a new chapter in South African history. Things will be different.

2 comments:

  1. hi,
    sure, the Apartheid's finished, and it's a good thing .

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's totally a good thing! Apartheid screwed South Africa up so much. It's put its development so far behind. It will take a while before this country is living up to its potential and all the corruption and crime is weeded out. I'm just not sure that Jacob Zuma is exactly the man to do it, but I stand to be corrected.

    ReplyDelete